Today I have a very simple and quick summer dish that is as delicious as it is simple to prepare. This recipe came about because we bought courgettes at our local market at the weekend and had too many for our go to courgette recipe of balsamic courgettes. This made a delicious, light after work supper but I can imagine it would be even better for lunch in the garden or on a picnic.
Courgette, feta and thyme frittata
1tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, finely diced
2 courgettes, grated
100g feta, crumbled
4 eggs, beaten
3 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Pre-heat your grill to high.
- Fry the garlic and courgette for a few minutes until softened.
- Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper. Pour over the courgette mixture in the frying pan.
- Add the thyme leaves and feta to the pan. Stir to mix everything together before the eggs start to cook.
- Once mixed, allow to cook until the base of the frittata starts to set.
- Place the frying pan under the grill and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the top is set and golden.
We’ve enjoyed a gloriously hot and sunny weekend here, it made a very nice change. Yesterday after coming back from our local market with lots of seasonal fruit and veg at it’s best, we enjoyed a salad in the garden for lunch. Now any close friends and family of mine will be thinking “did she really just say salad and enjoy in the same sentence?” I’m not really a salad eater, I want to be but I just find them bland and boring. This salad was different. Every mouthful was different yet equally delicious. There is sweet (peaches), salty (feta and proscuitto), peppery flavour (from the rocket) and all topped off with the acidic tang of balsamic vinegar. This salad was inspired by a recipe on a food blog I follow (Gourmet chick) for proscuitto and squashed peach salad. I used standard peaches, added feta (as I had some that needed using in the fridge) and my dressing was simply a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Peach, feta, proscuitto and rocket salad
1 bag of rocket
2 ripe peaches
2 slices of proscuitto
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat.
- Cut the peaches in to wedges. Put the peach wedges in a small bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Griddle the peach pieces until slightly charred (minute or so each side was all I needed).
- Remove from the griddle pan and let the peaches cool slightly whilst you put together the rest of the salad.
- Put the rocket in a bowl. Crumble over the feta. Tear the procuitto into small strips and add to the salad.
- Add the peaches and finally drizzle with balsamic vinegar.