I will start by confessing that courgettes aren’t one of my favorite vegetables. However I discovered this recipe last summer from Able and Cole’s recipe page and it has become a firm favorite in our house. Tasty (the vinegar give the dish a delicious, tangy flavour), healthy and quick and simply enough to prepare after work (and more importantly minimal washing up!) what more can you ask for. One word of warning though, if you don’t like balsamic vinegar this is not the recipe for you. This is not the most sophisticated looking dish and taking a photo to do it justice is not easy. The above is a photo of the courgettes just before assembling the final dish.
Balsamic courgettes with pine nuts and pasta.
3tbsp pine nuts
5 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, finely diced
2 courgettes (small to medium ones)
2 tbsp water
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
200g tagliattelli (Never weighed mine so hope this is correct)
freshly grated parmesan
- Wash the courgettes and then finely slice into batons (roughly 2 inch long).
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Stir frequently and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer the pine nuts to a dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the garlic and onion and sweat slowly until translucent and slightly brown.
- Add the courgettes and increase the heat.
- Cook for approximately 4 minutes until they just begin to brown. Stir frequently.
- Add the water and balsamic vinegar to the courgettes. Cover the pan and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Take the lid off and stir occasionally to stop the courgettes sticking to the pan and burning. Remove from the heat. return the pine nuts to the pan, mix and serve with tagliattelli and top with parmesan.