This months Fresh from the oven challenge was hosted by Ria from Ria’s Collections. She picked a family favorite Stuffed Bun recipe for this month’s challenge. It is basically a bun stuffed with a Spicy Indian Chicken filling (or a vegetarian filling if you prefer).
I’d seen a recipe for stuffed buns before that I liked the look of but this is the first time I’ve baked anything like this myself. I liked the idea though of the buns being a complete snack, bread buns filled with a delicious, spicy chicken mixture.
So how did I get on –
The dough was wetter than I am used to and I had to add some extra flour. I’m afraid I cheated a bit and didn’t knead by hand for 10 minutes but used my KitchenAid. I also found that my dough didn’t rise very much, after an hour and a half and very little rising I decided to carry on regardless with the rest of the recipe. Consequently I only managed to make 5 buns (should have made 12!), never the less the bread still tasted soft when finished. They are very quick to bake so keep an eye on them in the oven. The filling in these buns was delicious and as for the bread it’s self I found it too sweet but my boyfriend loved it!
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water with 1/2tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp of all purpose flour. Leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Boil the milk and allow to cool down till it is warm to touch. Add sugar, oil and salt.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon till the sugar dissolves and add 1 cup flour and mix to a smooth paste.
- Add the beaten egg, yeast and mix.Add the remaining flour and mix well till it forms a smooth dough.
- Knead well for 10 mins.[We knead it using our hands]
- Let it rest till it doubles in volume.
- Punch down the dough lightly using your palm and divide them equally.
- Flatten them into small discs and fill them with 1 tbsp of the filling. Re-shape them into a ball.Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Let it prove for another 20 mins.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for 10 mins. When it starts to brown, give them an egg wash using 1 slightly beaten egg white.
- Heat oil, add the ginger garlic paste and saute till it gives out a nice aroma.
- Add the onions. Saute them till soft and transparent.
- Reduce the heat and add the powders and mix well for 2 mins.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well.
- Keep it off the fire and let it cool.
- Use it for filling the dough.