This is a delicious, Northern Italian dish of baked aubergines with tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan. We enjoy it simply served with some crusty bread (or perhaps garlic bread or foccacia) or homemade rosemary and garlic potato wedges. I have seen it suggested as a side dish for roast lamb before which I imagine would work well. It is essential to griddle the aubergines first so that by the time the final dish is served the aubergine literally melts in the mouth.
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish
2 aubergines, sliced into 1cm thick disks
1 small white onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1x125g ball of mozzarella
handful of grated parmesan
- Pre heat the oven to 200C (180 C fan assisted).
- In a pan, sweat the onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes (or until soft), stirring frequently. Add the garlic and dried oregano and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Once hot add a layer of aubergines (brushed with olive oil) and grill on both sides until softened and lightly charred. Remove and set to one side. Repeat until all the aubergine are done.
- Arrange a layer of aubergines in the bottom of an oven proof dish, pour over a layer of the tomato sauce, scatter with the grated parmesan and some torn up pieces of mozzarella. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up. The size of my dish means I usually have two layers of aubergines, finishing with the tomato and cheese layer at the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until bubbling and golden.