It has been bitterly cold here for a few days now and today it finally snowed. Snow has been falling gently all afternoon and I can’t think of a better way to spend a snowy day than by keeping warm in the kitchen. This is a very simple soup that I found in the free magazine that I picked up in my local sainsburys. The squash and the sweet potato combine to give the finished soup a silky, smooth texture and the flavour of the red pepper is not over powering. Finished with a scattering of mixed seeds over the top and some freshly baked malted grain bread on the side, this is my idea of a perfect warming and nutritious winter lunch. Continue reading
We’ve enjoyed a gloriously hot and sunny weekend here, it made a very nice change. Yesterday after coming back from our local market with lots of seasonal fruit and veg at it’s best, we enjoyed a salad in the garden for lunch. Now any close friends and family of mine will be thinking “did she really just say salad and enjoy in the same sentence?” I’m not really a salad eater, I want to be but I just find them bland and boring. This salad was different. Every mouthful was different yet equally delicious. There is sweet (peaches), salty (feta and proscuitto), peppery flavour (from the rocket) and all topped off with the acidic tang of balsamic vinegar. This salad was inspired by a recipe on a food blog I follow (Gourmet chick) for proscuitto and squashed peach salad. I used standard peaches, added feta (as I had some that needed using in the fridge) and my dressing was simply a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Peach, feta, proscuitto and rocket salad
1 bag of rocket
2 ripe peaches
2 slices of proscuitto
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat.
- Cut the peaches in to wedges. Put the peach wedges in a small bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Griddle the peach pieces until slightly charred (minute or so each side was all I needed).
- Remove from the griddle pan and let the peaches cool slightly whilst you put together the rest of the salad.
- Put the rocket in a bowl. Crumble over the feta. Tear the procuitto into small strips and add to the salad.
- Add the peaches and finally drizzle with balsamic vinegar.