Appologies for another review so soon but I promise this one includes a delicious recipe for you all to try at home. The recipe is for classic cheddar cheese biscuits created by a Michelin starred Cornish chef, Nathan Outlaw. The biscuits are delicious, flaky and packed with the flavour of strong cheddar cheese. The recipe is designed to show off the flavours of Davidstow Cornish cheddar which I was sent samples of to try.
Davidstow have been making cheddar for sixty years in Cornwall. They have two cheddars for sale Cornish classic (mature, aged for 14 months) and Cornish crackler (extra mature, aged for 20 months). We started by trying both the cheeses straight from the packet. Both cheeses had a delicious flavour, perfect for a cheese sandwich or cheese on toast. Then it was on to the cooking/baking with cheddar. I chose the recipe for classic cheddar biscuits but I was also tempted by the recipe for classic cheddar, red onion and basil brioche rolls.
Classic cheddar cheese biscuits
Makes 25-30 biscuits
300g Davidstow Classic cheddar cheese, grated (I actually used the extra mature Cornish crackle as we like our cheddar strong)
200g Unsalted butter, diced
200g Plain flour
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 free range egg yolks
- Put the grated cheese, butter, flour, cayenne pepper and salt in a food mixer and blend to a crumb. (I halved the recipe and used a food processor).
- Add the egg yolks and mix until the mixture comes together in a ball then wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180C (350F). Lightly grease 2-3 baking sheets with butter and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and roll out to 5mm thick and cut into 7 cm rounds (or any shape you like if you’re like me). Place them spaced a little apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Re-knead and roll the trimmings once or twice to make more biscuits.
- Chill for 30 minutes then bake the biscuits for about 15-20 mins until slightly golden.
- Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve immediately or keep for up to 3 days in a plastic tub with a tight fitting lid.